The Sta. Cruz Marker, formerly known as the “Punta Corro” to the natives, is one of the most famous attractions in Dipolog.
Standing today at the end of Rizal Avenue, the Sta. Cruz Marker faces the Holy Rosary Cathedral almost one and a half kilometer away. The marker was erected on May 3, 1905 by a group of Boholanos who, in search for a better life, migrated and settled in Dipolog. The cross was planted as thanksgiving to God for their safe journey.
The Sta. Cruz Marker is the oldest landmark existing in Dipolog. Roman Catholic masses were used to be held in the area until the Spanish friars established a chapel a kilometer away just fronting the Marker.
The cross plays a significant role in the lives of the Dipolog folks then and now. During the old days, the seas surrounding Visayas and Mindanao were plagued with pirates. These pirates would periodically come and disturb the settlers. But ever since the cross was planted, the attacks stopped. It is believed that the cross created an illusion wherein the pirates could only see the cross but not the houses nearby. At present, the cross symbolizes Dipolognon’s faith, love and devotion to God Almighty.